Old 04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David WE Roberts writes:
| Picked this up from a mushroom thread further down.
|
| "A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing to
| bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally growing on
| their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be backing off
| that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and amanita muscaria our
| there!"
|
| I presume this is a Troll - given the high percentage of new (and old)
| houses built on grassland/farmland which would have naturally occurring
| mushrooms.

I wish :-(

I believe that the above is a troll, but the government was seriously
considering a proposal to clarify the currently incredibly obscure
legislation on the matter. It got quite a long way before someone
got through to them that the new approach was completely demented.
In particular, I heard that it was proposed that it be a crime to
grow such things deliberately - which, given the biology of such
fungi, would lead to a law so bizarre that A.P. Herbert would have
been unable to satirise it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.