Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
David WE Roberts

Default Mushromms and the law - Troll?

Picked this up from a mushroom thread further down.

"A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing to
bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally growing on
their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be backing off
that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and amanita muscaria our
there!"

I presume this is a Troll - given the high percentage of new (and old)
houses built on grassland/farmland which would have naturally occurring
mushrooms.

No reference to which NG or which legislation.

Anyway, as my postings last year included URLs for incriminating
photographs I assume that the Fung Squad are poised to pounce should this
ever become law :-)

OTOH please tell me it is true with references, because the guy next door
(from a strongly Police family) has the other half of the Fairy Ring in
his garden, and I would love to be able to (gently) wind him up.

Soon (I hope) I will post a couple of photos of an Abyssinian banana tree
which is currently fruiting outdoors in Suffolk. I am sure (given the
above) such an unusual plant as this must highly illegal, so I will be
suggesting to the owner that he may well want to take steps to encourage
me not to include the picture of him standing next to it :-) [Old notes,
not consecutive serial numbers, plain brown envelope, get the drift...]

Still raining.

Bored.

Grump.

Dave R
Old 04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David WE Roberts writes:
| Picked this up from a mushroom thread further down.
|
| "A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing to
| bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally growing on
| their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be backing off
| that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and amanita muscaria our
| there!"
|
| I presume this is a Troll - given the high percentage of new (and old)
| houses built on grassland/farmland which would have naturally occurring
| mushrooms.

I wish :-(

I believe that the above is a troll, but the government was seriously
considering a proposal to clarify the currently incredibly obscure
legislation on the matter. It got quite a long way before someone
got through to them that the new approach was completely demented.
In particular, I heard that it was proposed that it be a crime to
grow such things deliberately - which, given the biology of such
fungi, would lead to a law so bizarre that A.P. Herbert would have
been unable to satirise it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:34 PM
David WE Roberts

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:23:33 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
David WE Roberts writes:
| Picked this up from a mushroom thread further down.
|
| "A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing to
| bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally growing on
| their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be backing off
| that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and amanita muscaria our
| there!"
|
| I presume this is a Troll - given the high percentage of new (and old)
| houses built on grassland/farmland which would have naturally occurring
| mushrooms.

I wish :-(

I believe that the above is a troll, but the government was seriously
considering a proposal to clarify the currently incredibly obscure
legislation on the matter. It got quite a long way before someone
got through to them that the new approach was completely demented.
In particular, I heard that it was proposed that it be a crime to
grow such things deliberately - which, given the biology of such
fungi, would lead to a law so bizarre that A.P. Herbert would have
been unable to satirise it.

My client wishes to plead guilty, M'Lud, to possession of a mushroom bag
with criminal intent.

It could spawn (ouch!) a whole new industry of legal ambulance chasers.

Anyone lucky enough to own an acre of mixed woodland would be bang to
rights.

Come to think of it, Buck House has quite large gardens.....
Old 04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
David WE Roberts writes:
| Picked this up from a mushroom thread further down.
|
| "A notice on another newsgroup said that the government is proposing to
| bring in a bill to punish anyone who has mushrooms naturally growing on
| their lawn, the same poster has now said that they seem to be backing off
| that one...what a relief as we have Liberty Caps and amanita muscaria our
| there!"
|
| I presume this is a Troll - given the high percentage of new (and old)
| houses built on grassland/farmland which would have naturally occurring
| mushrooms.

I wish :-(

I believe that the above is a troll, but the government was seriously
considering a proposal to clarify the currently incredibly obscure
legislation on the matter. It got quite a long way before someone
got through to them that the new approach was completely demented.

When has that ever stopped them bringing in new legislation?

The best fungus I have ever had out of the garden was a solitary morel.
I did once find a huge puffball but it was in the fields adjoining.

Most of the rest here are inedible or don't mix with alcohol.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David WE Roberts writes:

| My client wishes to plead guilty, M'Lud, to possession of a mushroom bag
| with criminal intent.
|
| It could spawn (ouch!) a whole new industry of legal ambulance chasers.

Or, to cap that, a criminal ring driving volvas run by someone
called Russula. Let us draw a veil over this ....

| Anyone lucky enough to own an acre of mixed woodland would be bang to
| rights.
|
| Come to think of it, Buck House has quite large gardens.....

Someone pointed out that the proposed wording (which was something
like 'grow, cause to grow or provide an environment suitable for
the growing of' could make people who planted beech trees liable
under the Act. That was felt to be undesirable :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David WE Roberts contains these words:

/snip/

Soon (I hope) I will post a couple of photos of an Abyssinian banana tree
which is currently fruiting outdoors in Suffolk.

Hmmm. Any chance of a sucker, or whatever you'd call the side-shoots
that some bananananas put up?

I am sure (given the
above) such an unusual plant as this must highly illegal, so I will be
suggesting to the owner that he may well want to take steps to encourage
me not to include the picture of him standing next to it :-) [Old notes,
not consecutive serial numbers, plain brown envelope, get the drift...]

Hmmmmm. Remember "They call it Mellow Yellow"?

That song was a wind-up (allegedly) to get the authorities in a tizz and
ban banananananas - and an awful lot of people signally failed to het
high on smoking dried bananananaskins.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 04-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Sla#s

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
SNIP
Someone pointed out that the proposed wording (which was something
like 'grow, cause to grow or provide an environment suitable for
the growing of' could make people who planted beech trees liable
under the Act. That was felt to be undesirable :-)

Nevertheless the law was rushed through receiving Royal Assent on April 7
2005:

"Magic mushrooms are a class A drug
Class A drugs carry the most serious charges. Maximum penalties you can face
Seven years imprisonment plus an unlimited fine for possession.
Life imprisonment plus an unlimited fine for supplying or dealing.
Life imprisonment plus an unlimited fine for possession with intent to
supply."
See:
http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs...roomsandthelaw
http://www.epolitix.com/EN/Legislati...b958be2340.htm

But most importantly remember ignorance is no defence in law.
So if you have them on your lawn it is worth seven years in nick and if you
give them to someone or even let them pick them you get life imprisonment.

Of course they say that would never happen to a "normal member of the
public" but after all their other lies can we believe them?

Slatts

Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Mary Fisher

"Sla#s" wrote in message

Of course they say that would never happen to a "normal member of the
public" but after all their other lies can we believe them?

Lies?

Our masters?

With Our Glorious Leader guiding them?

How COULD you suggest sutch a thing???

Mary

Slatts

Old 04-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sla#s wrote:

Someone pointed out that the proposed wording (which was something
like 'grow, cause to grow or provide an environment suitable for
the growing of' could make people who planted beech trees liable
under the Act. That was felt to be undesirable :-)

Nevertheless the law was rushed through receiving Royal Assent on April 7
2005:

"Magic mushrooms are a class A drug
Class A drugs carry the most serious charges. Maximum penalties you can face
Seven years imprisonment plus an unlimited fine for possession.
Life imprisonment plus an unlimited fine for supplying or dealing.
Life imprisonment plus an unlimited fine for possession with intent to
supply."

No, it's not quite the same Act.

The Drugs Act 2005 does, indeed, make the possession of any fungus
containing psilocin a crime. If you pick an unknown fungus, you
could go down for seven years and, if you give it to a friend for
identification, you could get life.

Generously, there is an amendment stating that the penalties do not
apply to fungi growing naturally, but I don't think that it will
change the above.

However, you will not be liable to those penalties if you plant a
tree known to be a host for fungi that include psilocin. Aren't
our Lords and Masters kind to us?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Aren't
our Lords and Masters kind to us?

We are the most fortunate among humankind...

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:53 PM
pammyT

David WE Roberts writes:

| My client wishes to plead guilty, M'Lud, to possession of a mushroom

bag
| with criminal intent.
|
| It could spawn (ouch!) a whole new industry of legal ambulance chasers.

Or, to cap that, a criminal ring driving volvas

ITYM Volvos :-)
reminds me of my thicko Essex lad brother in law who calls them 'Vulvas'
hehe
Tells me that Vulvas are very popular in Essex especially the big ones
evil grin

Old 05-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

Or, to cap that, a criminal ring driving volvas

ITYM Volvos :-)
reminds me of my thicko Essex lad brother in law who calls them 'Vulvas'
hehe
Tells me that Vulvas are very popular in Essex especially the big ones
evil grin

Might not be quite the thicko you think, then - just the typical cartoon
Essex Boy.