Old 04-11-2002, 07:34 PM
cross

Default Paulownia problem

Barry & Iris McCanna wrote in message

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
If I remember correctly, a common way of using paulownia is to cut

them down
to the ground each spring so that you get *very* vigorous growth and

huge
leaves. So, I don't think there would be any long-term damage to the

tree.
Afraid I haven't got any info about preventing woodpecker attack.

----------------
Thanks for the reply, I have one that I keep cutting back too, but the one
felled by woodpeckers was the one that I was going to let grow and flower.
;-(
The seed came from Chiltern Seeds, and germinated well.

Best wishes
Marina

If you cut the Paulownia down, yes you will get huge leaves, but no
flowers. I have found them to grow easily from seed. Marina, if
your tree doesn't grow again, I do have a seedling you can have :-)

Iris (McCanna)

Thanks Iris, but as they germinated so well, I was able to pass paulownias
on to various members of the family.

My father decided to move his, and 2 more have appeared in the spot where he
dug it up! So he has offered them to me :-))

As they must have grown from small pieces of root, I guess that root
cuttings would work as a method of propagation.

Best wishes
Marina