Old 05-07-2005, 02:33 AM
ElectricLandlady

Ann, thank you for actually reading my post before commenting (unlike
others who maybe have a habit to talk without listening).
Fortunately for price, but unfortunately for follow-up/advice, I
bought them at Broadwells in Angier. I'm hoping an expert gardener in
the group could help....

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:45:31 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Oh, Bud, be a sport! -- David did not say he *intended* to prune the Crepe
Myrtles low, just that he did not get them planted when he had intended
o -- and I bet he is not the only one who has ever found himself in that
situation!

David, for starters, I'd get them in the ground -- after all, you will
have to water them whether you plant them or not! Why don't you ask for
advice where you purchased them? (As long as you make it clear you don't
blame the trees' condition on the garden center.)

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"bud" wrote in message
link.net...
Why in the world did you buy Crepe Myrtles if you are going to prune them
down low. We have a saying around here for people that love to prune
these beauties... Crepe Murder. Let them grow and put them in a spot
where they can reach their magestic height and beauty. Just drive down
Glenwood Ave from Crabtree Mall to Wade Ave. to see the full beauty these
fine trees.. not bushes.. can achieve.

"ElectricLandlady" wrote in message
news

I bought two 8 foot B&B crepe myrtles several weeks ago, and for
various reasons they didn't get put in the ground, and despite
frequent watering they dried up and died. Or so I thought...
Not one to give up so easily, I kept watering them and occationally
put some composted manure on top of the burlap, and eventually they
are showing some life again at the top branches.

I figure that if they stay alive, I'm going to have to really prune
them down low eventually to get rid of the dead branches and let them
establish a reasonable shape. When is a good time to do this? Late
fall? Or should I wait until Feb/Mar or so...?

-- David