Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:56:49 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Anyone else with a bat roost in their house? It is the time of year when
the babies try to fly and a few get into silly places (rather nasty cold
and wet up in N Yorks too but I guess they can't choose the weather).

One today was lucky that I can still hear 16kHz after it got trapped on
the floor in a stairwell. They struggle if their flight muscles get cold
away from the roost, and gloss painted skirting boards prevent them
climbing up a wall to take off again so they quickly get distressed,
exhausted and cold on the ground. Distress call sounds a bit like an
intermittent smoke alarm low battery but at a much higher frequency.

The local bat group taught me how to handle them so that they don't have
to be called out for every one that gets itself into trouble now.

I haven't seen any orphans as yet from our loft roost - but then again
the odds aren't in their favour round here, what with any number of
predators looking for an easy meal.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk