Old 06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
f1capsicum wrote:
Can anyone recommend an easy Allium for me?
Preferably colourful (red or purple) and 2-3 ft in height.

They're all easy. In your height range, Allium aflatunense is pink,

aflatunense 'Purple Sensation' is very deep and vivid while the normal
species is a very pleasing chive mauve.
Indeed simple chives have lovely flowers and look great at the edge of a bed
even if they are a bit small for you.

christophii is smallish (less than 2 feet) but the flower heads are huge and
long lasting.

albopilosum is sort of pale lavenderish; giganteum gets to four feet
and is sort of mauve. The small ones are very nice, too.

I love the look of giganteum.

When should Allium's be planted and how do they stand up to slugs

and
other pests?

Autumn; they seem pretty tough, pest-wise -- beware of the same
things as for onions. But they don't like being overshadowed, and
will die out under those conditions -- or they have for me, anyhow..

Do they deter cats at all?

Not in my experience.

--
Mike.