Old 06-07-2005, 11:07 AM
f1capsicum

Default Allium

Can anyone recommend an easy Allium for me?
Preferably colourful (red or purple) and 2-3 ft in height.

When should Allium's be planted and how do they stand up to slugs and
other pests?
Do they deter cats at all?

Old 06-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Mike Lyle

f1capsicum wrote:
Can anyone recommend an easy Allium for me?
Preferably colourful (red or purple) and 2-3 ft in height.

They're all easy. In your height range, Allium aflatunense is pink,
albopilosum is sort of pale lavenderish; giganteum gets to four feet
and is sort of mauve. The small ones are very nice, too.

When should Allium's be planted and how do they stand up to slugs

and
other pests?

Autumn; they seem pretty tough, pest-wise -- beware of the same
things as for onions. But they don't like being overshadowed, and
will die out under those conditions -- or they have for me, anyhow..

Do they deter cats at all?

Not in my experience.

--
Mike.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:59 AM
f1capsicum

Thanks for the responce

Do you (or anyone else) have any experience of Allium sphaerocephalum.
This is one I'm thining of trying.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
f1capsicum wrote:
Can anyone recommend an easy Allium for me?
Preferably colourful (red or purple) and 2-3 ft in height.

They're all easy. In your height range, Allium aflatunense is pink,

aflatunense 'Purple Sensation' is very deep and vivid while the normal
species is a very pleasing chive mauve.
Indeed simple chives have lovely flowers and look great at the edge of a bed
even if they are a bit small for you.

christophii is smallish (less than 2 feet) but the flower heads are huge and
long lasting.

albopilosum is sort of pale lavenderish; giganteum gets to four feet
and is sort of mauve. The small ones are very nice, too.

I love the look of giganteum.

Allium Monty Chatu United Kingdom 6 18-04-2005 08:56 PM
Allium Bulbs Green Goblin United Kingdom 3 12-06-2004 09:04 AM
Allium Bulbs Janice United Kingdom 3 01-12-2003 01:32 PM
ornamental allium Mike Tickle United Kingdom 3 11-08-2003 11:32 AM
Rust on Chives and Ornamental Allium Janice United Kingdom 3 13-06-2003 10:44 AM