Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Martin Sykes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
On 6/7/05 10:24, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

It got very little water during the winter.
the conservatory is frost free-little heater with thermostat sees to
that.( we live in Northern Ireland) I only water it when it is
practically
dry. could be that it needs repotting. Is there any way I can use tap
water
e.g leave it to sit so that some of the lime evaporates ?

I don't know that leaving water to 'sit' causes lime to evaporate

Indeed, I don't see how it possibly could do! Lime is a solid at
temperatures where water is liquid.

The opposite mechanism is possible - evaporate off the water, leaving
the lime behind, then re-condense the water.

--
Kay

Doesn't boiling it do the trick? - that's why the lime ends up stuck to the
inside of the kettle. I think if you boil it more than once it gets even
softer ( but your kettle will suffer more )

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )