Old 05-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Tom Atkinson

Default Yellow leaves on Mandevilla

I purchased a Mandevilla last year. It grew in the Conservatory and was most
spectacular with 100's of blooms. It struggled to survive the winter and was
pruned in March. Many of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I
have used insecticides, fungicides and given it a dose of Sequestrene all to
no avail. I also gave it a foliar feed.
As it is a lime hater I have been watering it with water from a barrel-could
this be the problem ?
Tom Atkinson

Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Sacha

On 5/7/05 17:17, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

I purchased a Mandevilla last year. It grew in the Conservatory and was most
spectacular with 100's of blooms. It struggled to survive the winter and was
pruned in March. Many of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I
have used insecticides, fungicides and given it a dose of Sequestrene all to
no avail. I also gave it a foliar feed.
As it is a lime hater I have been watering it with water from a barrel-could
this be the problem ?
Tom Atkinson

How often have you watered it? And did you water it through the winter?
And are the roots free-draining? Is the Conservatory frost free? And if
not, where do you live?
To be honest, I think it might be trying to survive this onslaught of TLC on
your part. Was it infected with a fungus, did you see any insects on it?
We are particularly concerned that you've given it far too much water, feed
etc.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Rod Craddock

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
I purchased a Mandevilla last year. It grew in the Conservatory and was
most
spectacular with 100's of blooms. It struggled to survive the winter and
was
pruned in March. Many of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I
have used insecticides, fungicides and given it a dose of Sequestrene all
no avail. I also gave it a foliar feed.
As it is a lime hater I have been watering it with water from a
barrel-could
this be the problem ?
Tom Atkinson

Have you looked at the roots. Just guessing but I would say it's potbound.
They fill the pot very quickly and in that sense aren't great plants for
growing in containers unless you've got lots of room and big containers.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod Craddock wrote:

Have you looked at the roots. Just guessing but I would say it's potbound.
They fill the pot very quickly and in that sense aren't great plants for
growing in containers unless you've got lots of room and big containers.

Does that apply to Mandevillia boliviana, too? Mine is doing quite
well in a 12" pot.

It is in VERY well-drained compost and not watered all that often.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Rod Craddock

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Craddock wrote:

Have you looked at the roots. Just guessing but I would say it's
potbound.
They fill the pot very quickly and in that sense aren't great plants for
growing in containers unless you've got lots of room and big containers.

Does that apply to Mandevillia boliviana, too? Mine is doing quite
well in a 12" pot.

It is in VERY well-drained compost and not watered all that often.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

er............oops I've dropped a clanger here - I was thinking of a plant I
had years ago, I now realise it wasn't a Mandevilla at all, now I don't have
a clue what it was.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Rod Craddock" wrote in message
[...]

Mine has been in a small pot for 8 years without repotting! I am not
recommending it, just pointing out it is more likely to be overwatering.
Mandevilla Alice Du Pont also suffers from Botrytis which can infect the
stems causing the whole to die back slowly, they nearly always grow back
from lower down. and of course as new growth starts old leaves are shed,
that is also normal.
My thanks to the OP for reminding me, I have not done the cuttings yet :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Tom Atkinson

It got very little water during the winter.
the conservatory is frost free-little heater with thermostat sees to
that.( we live in Northern Ireland) I only water it when it is practically
dry. could be that it needs repotting. Is there any way I can use tap water
e.g leave it to sit so that some of the lime evaporates ?
tom

[...]

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

Old 06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Tom Atkinson" writes:
| It got very little water during the winter.
| the conservatory is frost free-little heater with thermostat sees to
| that.( we live in Northern Ireland) I only water it when it is practically
| dry. could be that it needs repotting. Is there any way I can use tap water
| e.g leave it to sit so that some of the lime evaporates ?

My Mandevillia boliviana is definitely NOT a lime hater. It has
been quite happy with tap water, though I use rainwater much of
the time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[...]

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 5/7/05 17:17, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

[...]

I don't know that leaving water to 'sit' causes lime to evaporate so can't
help you there. If you really think the water is the problem, try giving it
mineral water for a few months! But I don't know that Mandevilla is *that*
fussy about its water. If the nursery from which you bought it is a
friendly and helpful one, then it might be worth taking the plant back to
them and asking their opinion/advice. Certainly, in your shoes, that's what
I would do. But in the meantime, I wouldn't give it any more 'treatment' of
any sort, other than to water it when it's really dry, let it drain freely
and so on. Feeding a sick plant is thought not to be a good idea, in any
case. But do try having a chat with the Nursery.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Tom Atkinson

Thanks for the advice. You mentioned taking cuttings. when I pruned I
inserted about 30 cuttings-none of which took !!! What is the secret of
rooting them.?
tom

Old 06-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 6/7/05 10:24, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

It got very little water during the winter.
the conservatory is frost free-little heater with thermostat sees to
that.( we live in Northern Ireland) I only water it when it is practically
dry. could be that it needs repotting. Is there any way I can use tap water
e.g leave it to sit so that some of the lime evaporates ?

I don't know that leaving water to 'sit' causes lime to evaporate

Indeed, I don't see how it possibly could do! Lime is a solid at
temperatures where water is liquid.

The opposite mechanism is possible - evaporate off the water, leaving
the lime behind, then re-condense the water.

--
Kay

Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Martin Sykes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
On 6/7/05 10:24, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

It got very little water during the winter.
the conservatory is frost free-little heater with thermostat sees to
that.( we live in Northern Ireland) I only water it when it is
practically
dry. could be that it needs repotting. Is there any way I can use tap
water
e.g leave it to sit so that some of the lime evaporates ?

I don't know that leaving water to 'sit' causes lime to evaporate

Indeed, I don't see how it possibly could do! Lime is a solid at
temperatures where water is liquid.

The opposite mechanism is possible - evaporate off the water, leaving
the lime behind, then re-condense the water.

--
Kay

Doesn't boiling it do the trick? - that's why the lime ends up stuck to the
inside of the kettle. I think if you boil it more than once it gets even
softer ( but your kettle will suffer more )

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 06-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Martin Sykes

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
I purchased a Mandevilla last year. It grew in the Conservatory and was
most
spectacular with 100's of blooms. It struggled to survive the winter and
was
pruned in March. Many of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I
have used insecticides, fungicides and given it a dose of Sequestrene all
no avail. I also gave it a foliar feed.
As it is a lime hater I have been watering it with water from a
barrel-could
this be the problem ?
Tom Atkinson

Maybe the water is too cold when you water it. Do you let it stand until it
gets to room temperature?

I'd also get it out of the pot and check the roots. There could be a pest
below ground.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Martin Sykes" writes:

| Doesn't boiling it do the trick? - that's why the lime ends up stuck to the
| inside of the kettle. I think if you boil it more than once it gets even
| softer ( but your kettle will suffer more )

Er, I stopped chemistry at 15, some 42 years ago, but ....

Boiling will remove 'temporary' hardness (i.e. that due to
calcium bicarbonate), which will precipate out as calcium
carbonate. But it will not affect 'permanent' hardness (i.e.
that due to calcium sulphate etc.) Things are more complex
that that, but that is roughly what happens. Reboiling once
you have removed the calcium bicarbonate will do nothing.

In most areas, there is more temporary than permanent hardness,
so boiling water does help a bit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mandevilla A. Du pont from 02 - Mandevilla A. du pont-908F.JPG joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-02-2011 05:26 PM
Mandevilla Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 09-04-2009 06:35 AM
Yellow phal. leaves - Yellow Phal. (Small).JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 4 10-12-2008 09:14 AM
My tomato leaves are starting to wither and get yellow patches on the leaves BenGman Edible Gardening 1 22-08-2005 12:09 AM
Mandevilla gruber Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM