Old 06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Derek Turner

Des Higgins wrote:
"Dah" wrote in message

I may be visiting Ireland next August (06). Any comments on prime seasonal
times for visiting gardens? Is August a good month in Ireland? Also, any
comments/opinions on the Wicklow Flower Festival?

Any information will be most appreciated as gardeners usually know best.

Hi Dave:

I now live in Dublin but do not get to see many gardens. The kids freak if
we go to see too many and Sunday outings are the usual time to do that.
There is an excellent and free Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin (North city
suburbs) and there are some famous gardens that charge in (sometimes quite a
lot e.g. Mount Ussher in Ashford in Wicklow). Periodically I see brochures
with lists of gardens and visiting times etc. I will see if I can find a
current one. The most famous local garden is Helen Dillon's in Ranelagh in
Dublin (famous because she is on Irish TV a lot and has a beautiful garden)
but there are maybe a dozen first rate ones in and around teh city. The
problem with most is that the viewing times are usually restricted.

here is one web site

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles...ons/index.shtm

it lists (from a quick glance) some of teh most famous big ones but what is
missing is entrance fee and/or visiting times/conditions. Some are open 7
days a week and some are only open on certain days. Of all the ones in
that list, Mount Stewart is the most spectacular but it is in nortern
ireland and is 2-3 hours drive from Dublin.

I enjoyed Powerscourt very much (not listed on that site)