Old 06-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Dah

Default Ireland

I may be visiting Ireland next August (06). Any comments on prime
seasonal times for visiting gardens? Is August a good month in Ireland?
Also, any comments/opinions on the Wicklow Flower Festival?

Any information will be most appreciated as gardeners usually know best.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Des Higgins

"Dah" wrote in message
I may be visiting Ireland next August (06). Any comments on prime seasonal
times for visiting gardens? Is August a good month in Ireland? Also, any
comments/opinions on the Wicklow Flower Festival?

Any information will be most appreciated as gardeners usually know best.

Hi Dave:

I now live in Dublin but do not get to see many gardens. The kids freak if
we go to see too many and Sunday outings are the usual time to do that.
There is an excellent and free Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin (North city
suburbs) and there are some famous gardens that charge in (sometimes quite a
lot e.g. Mount Ussher in Ashford in Wicklow). Periodically I see brochures
with lists of gardens and visiting times etc. I will see if I can find a
current one. The most famous local garden is Helen Dillon's in Ranelagh in
Dublin (famous because she is on Irish TV a lot and has a beautiful garden)
but there are maybe a dozen first rate ones in and around teh city. The
problem with most is that the viewing times are usually restricted.

here is one web site

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles...ons/index.shtm

it lists (from a quick glance) some of teh most famous big ones but what is
missing is entrance fee and/or visiting times/conditions. Some are open 7
days a week and some are only open on certain days. Of all the ones in
that list, Mount Stewart is the most spectacular but it is in nortern
ireland and is 2-3 hours drive from Dublin.

August is as good a time as any (will be similar to UK in terms of what is
looking good).

If you ask about a particular one you have in mind, I might know something
about it (or more likely will not know much :-).

Des

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old 06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Derek Turner

Des Higgins wrote:
"Dah" wrote in message

[...]

I enjoyed Powerscourt very much (not listed on that site)
Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 PM
shazzbat

"Derek Turner" somewhat@odds wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Dah" wrote in message

I may be visiting Ireland next August (06). Any comments on prime

seasonal
times for visiting gardens? Is August a good month in Ireland? Also, any
comments/opinions on the Wicklow Flower Festival?

Any information will be most appreciated as gardeners usually know best.

I would recommend the John F Kennedy memorial arboretum if it's within your
travel limits, I can't remember which county it's in. Don't let the word
arboretum put you off, it's a fantastic gardens. And do drive to the top of
the mountain as you leave for the fantastic views.

Steve

Garden Waste problem - Dublin Ireland Niall Smyth United Kingdom 1 08-03-2004 07:50 PM
Ireland permaculture / smallholding seek contacts Clive Corner Gardening 0 27-09-2003 12:32 PM
Bells Of Ireland Jayne United Kingdom 0 05-04-2003 06:32 PM
Historic Homes and Gardens of Ireland Tour 2003 Kerry Ninneman Gardening 0 30-03-2003 09:20 PM
Holidaying in Ireland info please sacha United Kingdom 0 08-02-2003 05:49 PM