Old 05-11-2002, 04:51 PM
David Sinfield

Default Planting a fig

In message , Edmund
Greening writes
I have two fig trees on order, one to grow in a pot and keep inside in
winter and one to grow outside. I am in the procees of clearing a space and
lining a the hole with paving slabs, as suggested in Gardening Which?. Has
anyone any experience of growing figs outside who could offer advice?

I am in Wiltshire and am planting a Brown Turkey fig against a SW facing
wall.

Ed

I've had a couple of figs in tubs for about 5 years, no sign of a fig
yet though, they were grown from seeds.

This year 'er indoors wanted one of the tubs moving and I found the
plant had rooted through the bottom of the pot and had sizeable roots
going into the ground. The tree lost all it's leaves but I'm hoping
it'll be back next year. I may even shocked it into making fruit.

Moral: stand your pots on something that won't allow the roots down.

--
Cheers,
David Sinfield (Surrey, UK)