Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 PM

On 2005-07-04, ElectricLandlady wrote:

I bought two 8 foot B&B crepe myrtles several weeks ago, and for
various reasons they didn't get put in the ground, and despite
frequent watering they dried up and died. Or so I thought...
Not one to give up so easily, I kept watering them and occationally
put some composted manure on top of the burlap, and eventually they
are showing some life again at the top branches.

I figure that if they stay alive, I'm going to have to really prune
them down low eventually to get rid of the dead branches and let them
establish a reasonable shape. When is a good time to do this? Late
fall? Or should I wait until Feb/Mar or so...?

It sounds like you don't really know what is dead and what is alive
now. If they don't have much leaves then they are not losing water.
Just let them grow as they are and remove only the dead stuff when you
are sure it is dead. If they have not leaved out by September then you
can assume those limbs are dead.
-- David

is a garbage address.