Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:
Rusty wrote:

Use Firefox as your browser - it kills all those - AdAware ought to
clean your HD of them.

I have to agree. I dislike MSIE intensely and have never used it on
my home computers. For many years I used Netscape, but when it was
bought out by AOL it became increasingly glitchy and irksome to use.
I switched to Firefox a good while ago and its a joy to use giving me
much greater control. Pop-ups are a thing of the past, but as with
any other browser the occasional worm can slip in.

I've got SpyWareBlaster to keep tabs on those. So far, touch wood, I've
never downloaded an malware or adware with Firefox. When pop-ups were
fairly new I downloaded one of those with Netscape 4, but I can't
remember how I got rid of it. Probably a three-fingered salute to find
what it was, and a search of the drives.

I run AdAware, Spybot S&D, CWSShredder from time to time, but they've
never found anything I've downloaded - just holes in IE (which I never
use, anyway), and one in Opera. I've uninstalled Outlurk Depress and
Outpuke.

Firefox can't
handle every single web page, but my view is that a site that hasn't
been validated with all of the browsers, is probably not worth looking
at. Adaware is good and very useful for tracking down those annoying
little packets of rubbish that manage to get through.

Which ones? I didn't see one - and I had a look round this morning.
Three quarters of an hour wasted (FSVO wasted) downloading updates and
scanning.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/