Old 11-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Colin Lewis

Default [IBC] Maple dieback (in my garage?!)

I have a deshojo, a newly airlayered palmatum, and an established palmatum
all in the garage (about 5 degrees C) and have noticed many of the longer
branches are blackening on all three trees. All of the trees put on some
major growth in the fall, but the cold whether came on so rapidly this year
that they had to be moved into storage earlier than I would have liked.

Has anyone experienced un-hardened maple branches dying back like this, even
if they have never experienced freezing temperatures?

Joe - this is common enough when there is a late flush of growth on maples -
hence the advice not to oberwater or feed heavily late in the season. The
tree will survive.

COlin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++