Old 11-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Joe St. Lawrence

Default [IBC] Maple dieback (in my garage?!)

I have a deshojo, a newly airlayered palmatum, and an established palmatum
all in the garage (about 5 degrees C) and have noticed many of the longer
branches are blackening on all three trees. All of the trees put on some
major growth in the fall, but the cold whether came on so rapidly this year
that they had to be moved into storage earlier than I would have liked.

Has anyone experienced un-hardened maple branches dying back like this, even
if they have never experienced freezing temperatures?

(I'm not too stressed about this, since much of the growth will be pruned
off in the spring anyway, but this would have been a major drag on a more
advanced tree.)

Joe
-ottawa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Colin Lewis

I have a deshojo, a newly airlayered palmatum, and an established palmatum
all in the garage (about 5 degrees C) and have noticed many of the longer
branches are blackening on all three trees. All of the trees put on some
major growth in the fall, but the cold whether came on so rapidly this year
that they had to be moved into storage earlier than I would have liked.

Has anyone experienced un-hardened maple branches dying back like this, even
if they have never experienced freezing temperatures?

Joe - this is common enough when there is a late flush of growth on maples -
hence the advice not to oberwater or feed heavily late in the season. The
tree will survive.

COlin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Iris Cohen

I have a deshojo, a newly airlayered palmatum, and an established palmatum
all in the garage (about 5 degrees C) and have noticed many of the longer
branches are blackening on all three trees.

I don't know about the others, but 'Deshojo' is notoriously difficult. I gave
up after I lost two expensive ones, possibly to disease.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Dieback in conifer hedgeing Plus United Kingdom 0 29-08-2005 10:26 AM
Dierama dieback Victoria Clare United Kingdom 15 01-07-2004 08:13 AM
English Box dieback - help required James Dawson Australia 0 28-02-2004 03:18 AM
Viburnum dieback Mike Prager Gardening 2 23-09-2003 03:06 AM
leaf dieback on newly deflasked orchids Gideon Singer Orchids 5 04-03-2003 01:28 AM