Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 19:56:55 +0000, Calto
wrote:

I've a problem with Red Thread - It's killing my lawn!
RED THREAD
Red thread creates discoloured patterns in the lawn from two inches to
several feet in diameter. Unaffected grass blades are usually
interspersed in the diseased area. When viewed closely, the affected
garden lawns grass blades reveal pink-to-red thread-like strands at
their tips. When moisture is plentiful, a pinkish, cotton-candy-like
mass also often appears in the affected areas.

As the disease progresses, the affected blades collapse and turn brown.
During the active stages, it can spread from one area of the lawn to
another by foot traffic, mowing etc. Although it thrives best in
temperatures from 60°F to 75°F, it is also commonly found on garden
lawns in summertime, when temperatures are higher.

To prevent or cure Red Thread, apply SCOTTS Lawn Fungus Control.

http://tinyurl.com/ajykq.

Where can I get some Scotts Lawn Fungus Control? I as yet have not be
able to find anywhere in the UK that sells it.

Is there anything else I can use?

Thanks in advance.

CALTO.

Hessayon says it's unsightly but won't actually kill the grass. He
recommends good lawn husbandry: feeding in spring and summer, spiking
the turf for good drainage, avoid mowing too closely on sandy soils,
use an autumn feed, use fungicide if threads visible (which is where
you came in).

--
Chris