Old 07-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Thumbs down RED THREAD - It's a killer!

I've a problem with Red Thread - It's killing my lawn!
RED THREAD
Red thread creates discoloured patterns in the lawn from two inches to several feet in diameter. Unaffected grass blades are usually interspersed in the diseased area. When viewed closely, the affected garden lawns grass blades reveal pink-to-red thread-like strands at their tips. When moisture is plentiful, a pinkish, cotton-candy-like mass also often appears in the affected areas.

As the disease progresses, the affected blades collapse and turn brown. During the active stages, it can spread from one area of the lawn to another by foot traffic, mowing etc. Although it thrives best in temperatures from 60°F to 75°F, it is also commonly found on garden lawns in summertime, when temperatures are higher.

To prevent or cure Red Thread, apply SCOTTS Lawn Fungus Control.

http://www.gardentoolsforallseasons....en%20lawns.php.

Where can I get some Scotts Lawn Fungus Control? I as yet have not be able to find anywhere in the UK that sells it.

Is there anything else I can use?

Thanks in advance.

CALTO.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Chris Hogg

http://tinyurl.com/ajykq.

Where can I get some Scotts Lawn Fungus Control? I as yet have not be
able to find anywhere in the UK that sells it.

Is there anything else I can use?

Thanks in advance.

CALTO.

Hessayon says it's unsightly but won't actually kill the grass. He
recommends good lawn husbandry: feeding in spring and summer, spiking
the turf for good drainage, avoid mowing too closely on sandy soils,
use an autumn feed, use fungicide if threads visible (which is where
you came in).

--
Chris

Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Hessayon says it's unsightly but won't actually kill the grass. He
recommends good lawn husbandry: feeding in spring and summer, spiking
the turf for good drainage, avoid mowing too closely on sandy soils,
use an autumn feed, use fungicide if threads visible (which is where
you came in).

--
Chris

E-mail: christopher[dot]hogg[at]virgin[dot]net[/quote]

------------------------------

I've tried aerating the lawn and feeding in late spring.
Since we have had lost of warm wet weather it has come back with abundanace.
I would like to try some fungus control but I do not know what is available.
I would use the Scotts Lawn Fungus Control but it does not appear to be available in the UK.

Any Suggestions?

Calto
Old 09-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Calto contains these words:

I've tried aerating the lawn and feeding in late spring.
Since we have had lost of warm wet weather it has come back with
abundanace.
I would like to try some fungus control but I do not know what is
available.
I would use the Scotts Lawn Fungus Control but it does not appear to be
available in the UK.

Any Suggestions?

Murphy - Traditional Copper Fungicide. It comes in sachets of powder.
Mix it with water and apply with a watering-can.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:43:44 +0000, Calto
wrote:

I've tried aerating the lawn and feeding in late spring.
Since we have had lost of warm wet weather it has come back with
abundanace.
I would like to try some fungus control but I do not know what is
available.
I would use the Scotts Lawn Fungus Control but it does not appear to be
available in the UK.

Any Suggestions?

Calto

Hessayon suggests benlate, which IIRC is no longer available (my
book's an old copy), but I think was one of the first systemics. But
any fungicide would probably do, eg copper as Rusty suggested.

--
Chris