Old 08-07-2005, 04:23 AM
Ben Boorman

Tom Line wrote:
Will putting well spent cook-out charcoal ashes on and around roses do any
good or bad? I put some lightly on my tomatoes and they seem to like it. I
wonder if it would have any effect like rose dust has on the leaves?

some of the chemicals used in the processing of commercial grade
charcoal is NO GOOD for roses. Naturally occuring ash is good for your
roses, but do a soil analysis first. ARS.org has a lot of articles on
soil amendments and I have read in there the real chemical make ups of
charcoal and natural ash that makes 'em bad or good.