Old 09-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Sterling

paghat wrote:
In article , gancanny
wrote:

can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy to
grow from seed?
thanks in anticipation

Penstemons often resent being dug up & might take over a year to recover,
or not recover at all; but if never ever divided, huge old clumps will
become less & less flowery.

I think this depends on the variety - my Husker's Reds have been moved
several times. Don't seem to mind at all.

Some grow true from seeds, most do not.

The ideal & swiftest method is to just plant new ones to replace the old.
New plants are easily restarted from cuttings in a coldframe which is the
main method of propogation of plants that are true to the parent cultivar.
When the cuttings are well enough long to put into their permanent
locations, the worn out clumps go to the compost & replaced by the
youngsters.

I cut back the flowering stems and cut them up so I have a still piece
of stem about 3-4" long with a pair of leaves at the top. Stick it in
the dirt in a shady spot and keep watered. Move to sun in the fall. Last
year I did about 20 of them and had plants this year that bloomed. Maybe
50%, but I didn't baby them enough to get more.

This also works well on Sour Grapes Penstemon and a lot of other plants,
too.

I didn't do well with the seeds.

-paghat the ratgirl

I just love your web site. So many good photos and good descriptions!