Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered User

Default penstemons

can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy to grow from seed?
thanks in anticipation
Old 08-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Vox Humana

"gancanny" wrote in message

can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy to
grow from seed?
thanks in anticipation

I divide mine in the spring. My 'Husker's Red' seeds itself, so I assume
that they would be easy to grow from seed. You should research to see if
the seeds need a cold period before they geminate.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
paghat

In article , gancanny
wrote:

can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy to
grow from seed?
thanks in anticipation

Penstemons often resent being dug up & might take over a year to recover,
or not recover at all; but if never ever divided, huge old clumps will
become less & less flowery.

Some grow true from seeds, most do not.

The ideal & swiftest method is to just plant new ones to replace the old.
New plants are easily restarted from cuttings in a coldframe which is the
main method of propogation of plants that are true to the parent cultivar.
When the cuttings are well enough long to put into their permanent
locations, the worn out clumps go to the compost & replaced by the
youngsters.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 09-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Sterling

paghat wrote:
In article , gancanny
wrote:

can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy to
grow from seed?
thanks in anticipation

Penstemons often resent being dug up & might take over a year to recover,
or not recover at all; but if never ever divided, huge old clumps will
become less & less flowery.

I think this depends on the variety - my Husker's Reds have been moved
several times. Don't seem to mind at all.

Some grow true from seeds, most do not.

The ideal & swiftest method is to just plant new ones to replace the old.
New plants are easily restarted from cuttings in a coldframe which is the
main method of propogation of plants that are true to the parent cultivar.
When the cuttings are well enough long to put into their permanent
locations, the worn out clumps go to the compost & replaced by the
youngsters.

I cut back the flowering stems and cut them up so I have a still piece
of stem about 3-4" long with a pair of leaves at the top. Stick it in
the dirt in a shady spot and keep watered. Move to sun in the fall. Last
year I did about 20 of them and had plants this year that bloomed. Maybe
50%, but I didn't baby them enough to get more.

This also works well on Sour Grapes Penstemon and a lot of other plants,
too.

I didn't do well with the seeds.

-paghat the ratgirl

I just love your web site. So many good photos and good descriptions!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Bourne Identity

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:18:26 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"gancanny" wrote in message

can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy to
grow from seed?
thanks in anticipation

I divide mine in the spring. My 'Husker's Red' seeds itself, so I assume
that they would be easy to grow from seed. You should research to see if
the seeds need a cold period before they geminate.

I also have 'Husker's Red' which doesn't reseed, but it does produce
off shoots. Gulf Coast penstemon comes true from seed, and doesn't
mind being moved at all.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gancanny
can I lift and divide penstemons and if so when?Also are they easy to grow from seed?
thanks in anticipation
many thanks to all who replied....you have been most helpful and informative
many thanks again

[IMG] code is On

Prophagating Lupins and Penstemons??? nambucca United Kingdom 0 21-02-2004 06:50 PM
Penstemons Sue da Nimm United Kingdom 28 29-10-2003 10:32 AM
Penstemons Sue da Nimm United Kingdom 0 26-10-2003 03:01 PM
Penstemons Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 4 26-07-2003 10:13 PM
Penstemons and eel worm Barry & Iris McCanna United Kingdom 0 05-05-2003 01:44 PM