Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:50:24 GMT, Steve Topp
wrote:

Hi Emrys
Thanks for your reply. I will remove the leaves this afternoon
and also check out the curled leaves. I havnt seen any red spider mites
in the garden for a few years now but I will give it all a good look over.
Thanks Steve Topp

I suspect your thinking of the velvet mite. Bright red, and often seen
on sunny walls, concrete surfaces etc. The bane of decorators putting
white paint on exterior window sills!

The RSM referred to by Emerys is truly microscopic, and not red most
of the time. Also called the two spot mite. If you do see it, and you
_will_ need a hand lens, preferably x10, it is greenish translucent,
with a brown spot on each side of its 'body'. In autumn the females go
a sort of reddish-brown colour before hibernating. Hence the name.

--
Chris