Old 08-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Steve Topp

Default Cucmbers,Help needed

Hi
I am growing my first cucumber in the greenhouse and I have started
getting some problems that I could use some help with.
The main thing is that the leaves are starting to turn yellow, it
started at the bottom and it is now working its way up the whole plant.
The second thing is leaf curl that I think is been caused by aphids this
is affecting the leaves at the top of the plant, can I spray cucumbers
to get rid of these pests.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Emrys Davies

"Steve Topp" wrote in message
Hi
I am growing my first cucumber in the greenhouse and I have

started
getting some problems that I could use some help with.
The main thing is that the leaves are starting to turn yellow, it
started at the bottom and it is now working its way up the whole

plant.
The second thing is leaf curl that I think is been caused by aphids

this
is affecting the leaves at the top of the plant, can I spray cucumbers
to get rid of these pests.

If they are aphids you will be able to see them. Remove a curled leaf
and inspect it closely to see if there are any visible aphids.

A more probable cause is the red spider mite
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/rsm.htm which cannot be seen by the naked
eye. Well, I can't see them.

This mite dislikes damp and humid conditions and thrives in dry
conditions.

First of all remove and safely discard the yellow and damaged leaves and
if you conclude that you have red spider spray each remaining leaf with
a fine spray a few times a day and cause humidity by splashing water on
the greenhouse path.

Regards,
Emrys Daves.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Steve Topp

Emrys Davies wrote:
"Steve Topp" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Emrys
Thanks for your reply. I will remove the leaves this afternoon
and also check out the curled leaves. I havnt seen any red spider mites
in the garden for a few years now but I will give it all a good look over.
Thanks Steve Topp
Old 08-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Kay

In article , Steve Topp
writes
Hi
I am growing my first cucumber in the greenhouse and I have started
getting some problems that I could use some help with.
The main thing is that the leaves are starting to turn yellow, it
started at the bottom and it is now working its way up the whole plant.
The second thing is leaf curl that I think is been caused by aphids this
is affecting the leaves at the top of the plant, can I spray cucumbers
to get rid of these pests.

Red spider? Have you got tiny insects (1) (maybe not visible to the
naked eye - depends how short sighted you are) under the leaves and fine
webbing in the angles of the leaf shoots?

Ok, acarids, not insects
--
Kay

Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:50:24 GMT, Steve Topp
wrote:

Hi Emrys
Thanks for your reply. I will remove the leaves this afternoon
and also check out the curled leaves. I havnt seen any red spider mites
in the garden for a few years now but I will give it all a good look over.
Thanks Steve Topp

I suspect your thinking of the velvet mite. Bright red, and often seen
on sunny walls, concrete surfaces etc. The bane of decorators putting
white paint on exterior window sills!

The RSM referred to by Emerys is truly microscopic, and not red most
of the time. Also called the two spot mite. If you do see it, and you
_will_ need a hand lens, preferably x10, it is greenish translucent,
with a brown spot on each side of its 'body'. In autumn the females go
a sort of reddish-brown colour before hibernating. Hence the name.

--
Chris