Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Raleighgirl

Default some veggie garden results

This year when we laid in the squash plants,in an attempt to
deter the squash borers, I covered all stems with a foil collar.
The results? So far, so good. Only 1 plant of 8 has borers so
far altho it may be too early as it seems the borers get really
bad in late July. Did anyone else try anything that has worked?

Our veggie garden is glorious this year! It started out very,
very slow because of the cooler weather I presume. We now have
enough cucumbers to feed the neighborhood! Squash is prolific
and so are the tomytoes. Does anyone else have sungolds? O my,
those are some producing suckers! Last year we had 6 plants and
just quit picking them because there were so many. this year we
planted 2 + 2 others came up from the seeds. We must have 200
of them on the vines already! Omy. Chiles are just starting to
come in- YEA. It's been a GREAT year for our blueberries- I
covered them with fabric netting instead of the bird netting
(cdn't stand to find carcasses) and it's worked VERY well. The
only problem is that the bushes send new shoots through the
netting but o well.

I'd love to hear how others' gardens are doing.
Raleighgirl