Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Steve Harris

Default Fuchsia Leaf Cutting Wasp?

I have a Fuchsia magellicana aurea with seriously eaten leaves. The
damage is a large tidy circular hole, part of which overlaps the leaf
edge. I've done a sketch http://www.netservs.fsnet.co.uk/fuchleaf.jpg

I first thought S&S but today, I saw the culprit. It's a slim wasp/bee
about 1cm long with some yellow on the body. It buzzed in, played around
the edges of a few leaves and then cut the hole in one of them. It then
flew away with the cut out - I think - my eyes were beginning to boggle!

I've seen the damage in earlier years but this year it's much worse.
It's also done small attacks on a few other plants including a French
Bean this morning.

What is it and how do I control it?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/