Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Steve Harris

Default Fuchsia Leaf Cutting Wasp?

I have a Fuchsia magellicana aurea with seriously eaten leaves. The
damage is a large tidy circular hole, part of which overlaps the leaf
edge. I've done a sketch http://www.netservs.fsnet.co.uk/fuchleaf.jpg

I first thought S&S but today, I saw the culprit. It's a slim wasp/bee
about 1cm long with some yellow on the body. It buzzed in, played around
the edges of a few leaves and then cut the hole in one of them. It then
flew away with the cut out - I think - my eyes were beginning to boggle!

I've seen the damage in earlier years but this year it's much worse.
It's also done small attacks on a few other plants including a French
Bean this morning.

What is it and how do I control it?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Steve Harris

Thanks! That's the bunny!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 10-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Mike Lyle

michael adams wrote:
"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Thanks! That's the bunny!

A useful bit of gardening software at

http://www.netservs.com/spam/

Even if you are only posting in order to leave yet another a Spam
link to Net Services etc, it might look rather less obvious if
you included some of the text of the post you're responding
to.

That's unfair to Steve, who is perfectly genuine. A short vaguely
relevant message in one's sig seems reasonable to me.

I've had these bees go for fuchsias, too. You know those plastic pots
whose drainage holes come out at the side as well as the bottom
("biting out a corner" if that makes any sense)? I had one standing
on a table outside, and Mother Bee was building her underground
nursery through one of these holes.

--
Mike.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:
(snip)
I've thus far resisted the temptation of engaging in protracted
exchanges with posters who insist on posting a spam signature at
the end of every post,

(snip)

Just as well. You obviously haven't checked the charter of this
newsgroup. Steve's sig falls within acceptable limits for size and
content.

If you object to his garden-related sig advert, why did your requote
it twice in your posts? Failing to delete extraneous material from the
post you're quoting, seems particularly odd when you're attempting to
instruct someone else in netiquette.

Janet.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Mike

I also looked at the charter to see if there is convention of thanking
people where appropriate. There isn't. My apologies for thanking you. I
shall not contribute further to this sub-thread.

Steve that comes naturally from a good upbringing. I have the same problem
myself in 'trying' not to thank someone. It becomes so un-natural. :-((
However that is the way of life now. Very very sad.

Mike

Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Mike

Just as well. You obviously haven't checked the charter of this
newsgroup. Steve's sig falls within acceptable limits for size and
content.

If you object to his garden-related sig advert, why did your requote
it twice in your posts? Failing to delete extraneous material from the
post you're quoting, seems particularly odd when you're attempting to
instruct someone else in netiquette.

Janet.

Net Nanny Barrowcloth in full flight again :-((

Old 10-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Mike

I apologise when I'm wrong.

What do you do exactly ?

Nothing. She is never wrong.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Just as well. You obviously haven't checked the charter of this
newsgroup. Steve's sig falls within acceptable limits for size and
content.

If you object to his garden-related sig advert, why did your requote
it twice in your posts? Failing to delete extraneous material from the
post you're quoting, seems particularly odd when you're attempting to
instruct someone else in netiquette.

Janet.

Net Nanny Barrowcloth in full flight again :-((

Perfectlt correctly, and with good reason, unlike most of your sniping.

You might consider trimming unseparated sigs from your replies. May I
remind you that you started a thread demanding better humour from
posters to the group, and then flavoured subsequent posts with your
juvenile jibes.

I quote from a reply I refrained from sending at the time:

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

In Britain only females have a fanny.

Janet

Barrowcloth shows her ignorance again. The Senior Service used the Rum Fanny
for the issue of the Tot of Rum

It is better to look a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt

Quite - and you ought to take note of that before you shoot your mouth
off. Why do you think it's called a 'fanny'?

Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Mike

Quite - and you ought to take note of that before you shoot your mouth
off. Why do you think it's called a 'fanny'?

A Cooking Fanny or Cooking Pot, named after Fanny Palmer(?) if my memory
serves me correct. Also used in the Hotel trade. A large pot for such as
soups etc.