Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Jupiter

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:52:43 +0100, "Pedro Popadopolous"
wrote:

Hi

We have a lovely Weeping Willow on our front lawn, Its grown from a small
tree and is now 6 years old....

However the branches all trail on the floor. Is that right? All the ones we
see out and about are off the floor.

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

It's not unusual for the branches on a young specimen to trail on the
ground. Whip round it with your hedge trimmer at a height of 3 feet
or so and yours will look like the others. As it gets older, you
might have to attend to the top as well to maintain a nice symmetrical
shape. They tend to suddenly push out tall branches. As pointed
out, they are very thirsty and if deprived of water, as well as
frantic root activity, they start dropping leaves and twigs in a big
way. Lovely trees but they do need attention. I've got one growing
on a bank (not a river bank, unfortunately) and it does need a fair
bit of attention and tidying. In suitable conditions they grow to an
enormous size.