Old 10-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Pedro Popadopolous

Default Weeping Willow Advice?

Hi

We have a lovely Weeping Willow on our front lawn, Its grown from a small
tree and is now 6 years old....

However the branches all trail on the floor. Is that right? All the ones we
see out and about are off the floor.

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

Old 10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Mike Lyle

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Hi

We have a lovely Weeping Willow on our front lawn, Its grown from a
small tree and is now 6 years old....

However the branches all trail on the floor. Is that right? All the
ones we see out and about are off the floor.

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

When you say "weeping willow", do you mean the one with yellow twigs,
or the Kilmarnock willow, which has grey bark? This sounds rather
like the latter, but either way I don't think you need to worry.

--
Mike.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Pedro Popadopolous"
contains these words:

We have a lovely Weeping Willow on our front lawn, Its grown from a small
tree and is now 6 years old....

However the branches all trail on the floor. Is that right? All the ones we
see out and about are off the floor.

Any ideas whats going on?

I hope it's not too near the house.

IMO the only place for a weeping willow is on a riverbank. Unless you
have sealed plastic drains you will soon have them full of roots.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Jupiter

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:52:43 +0100, "Pedro Popadopolous"
wrote:

Hi

We have a lovely Weeping Willow on our front lawn, Its grown from a small
tree and is now 6 years old....

However the branches all trail on the floor. Is that right? All the ones we
see out and about are off the floor.

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

It's not unusual for the branches on a young specimen to trail on the
ground. Whip round it with your hedge trimmer at a height of 3 feet
or so and yours will look like the others. As it gets older, you
might have to attend to the top as well to maintain a nice symmetrical
shape. They tend to suddenly push out tall branches. As pointed
out, they are very thirsty and if deprived of water, as well as
frantic root activity, they start dropping leaves and twigs in a big
way. Lovely trees but they do need attention. I've got one growing
on a bank (not a river bank, unfortunately) and it does need a fair
bit of attention and tidying. In suitable conditions they grow to an
enormous size.

moving a 15foot high weeping willow R P McMurphy United Kingdom 19 01-09-2003 01:03 AM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM