Old 11-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(Jaques d'Alltrades) wrote:

ATM I'm harvesting carrier bags of escaped fodder beans, a slightly
smaller relative, and they have done extremely well in the verge
alongside last year's field.

Yes, I've grown "Field Beans". They are very hardy, productive and
reasonable tasting. Having tried several BB varieties in recently, my
plan for next year is 50% "Red Epicure" for flavour and 50% Field Beans
for tough productivity.

Another thing about Field Beans, they are narrower plants than more
refined varieties so you can pack them in more. Say about 6" apart. And
the pods are usually still pointing upwards when they're ready. They are
ready when rock hard and slightly shiny.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/