Old 08-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Oxymel of Squill

Default broad un-beans

:-(
row of broad beans, planted last October (was there really any point in
overwintering like that?) has empty pods. Little black dots where the beans
ought to be. There were one or two pods earlier in the year with one or two
beans, but nothing since.

anyone tell me what's gone wrong? Is there a witch nearby?

tia

Jon

Old 09-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Robert

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
news.net...
: :-(
:
: anyone tell me what's gone wrong? Is there a witch nearby?
:
: tia
:
: Jon
:
There is every point, they are usually early and full of beans. Not sure
what happened to yours, how odd

Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article .net,
Oxymel of Squill wrote:
:-(
row of broad beans, planted last October (was there really any point in
overwintering like that?) has empty pods. Little black dots where the beans
ought to be. There were one or two pods earlier in the year with one or two
beans, but nothing since.

anyone tell me what's gone wrong? Is there a witch nearby?

No, the Wicked Witch of the West was in Scotland and has now returned
to the USA to plot more evil. While he has left his British familiar
here, the latter seems to have no powers of his own (for either good
or evil).

In my experience, overwintering broad beans is a pretty futile activity,
as at best it produces a crop a fortnight earlier, and it is as likely
to simply waste seed and space. But some people seem to get it to
work.

My early ones have been a disaster, and I didn't sow them THAT early.
The problem has been the utterly miserable spring, which both caused
a lot to rot after germination and before developing a stem and caused
very poor setting (lack of bees). In fact, I have seen almost no bees
this year, and most of those have been honey bees (and it is the bumble
bees that pollinate broad beans). This will be due to the very long,
wet, warm winter - with no change when it came to 'spring'.

If we get a few more winters/springs this bad, it is going to cause
ecological chaos. In 30 years of gardening here, I have never seen a
year where there have been insignificant numbers of both honey bees
and bumble bees right up until July.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

/never has-beans/

anyone tell me what's gone wrong? Is there a witch nearby?

No, the Wicked Witch of the West was in Scotland and has now returned
to the USA to plot more evil. While he has left his British familiar
here, the latter seems to have no powers of his own (for either good
or evil).

That's the Wicked Warlock, Shirley?

In my experience, overwintering broad beans is a pretty futile activity,
as at best it produces a crop a fortnight earlier, and it is as likely
to simply waste seed and space. But some people seem to get it to
work.

The idea is also to harden them against blackfly infestation.

My early ones have been a disaster, and I didn't sow them THAT early.
The problem has been the utterly miserable spring, which both caused
a lot to rot after germination and before developing a stem and caused
very poor setting (lack of bees). In fact, I have seen almost no bees
this year, and most of those have been honey bees (and it is the bumble
bees that pollinate broad beans). This will be due to the very long,
wet, warm winter - with no change when it came to 'spring'.

ATM I'm harvesting carrier bags of escaped fodder beans, a slightly
smaller relative, and they have done extremely well in the verge
alongside last year's field.

If we get a few more winters/springs this bad, it is going to cause
ecological chaos. In 30 years of gardening here, I have never seen a
year where there have been insignificant numbers of both honey bees
and bumble bees right up until July.

Plenty of bumble bees here in this bit of Norfolk, and from the earliest
times too. However, I haven't seen a honey bee here for several years.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Janet Galpin

The message

In article .net,
Oxymel of Squill wrote:
:-(
row of broad beans, planted last October (was there really any point in
overwintering like that?) has empty pods. Little black dots where the
beans
ought to be. There were one or two pods earlier in the year with one
or two
beans, but nothing since.

anyone tell me what's gone wrong? Is there a witch nearby?

In my experience, overwintering broad beans is a pretty futile activity,
as at best it produces a crop a fortnight earlier, and it is as likely
to simply waste seed and space. But some people seem to get it to
work.

My early ones have been a disaster, and I didn't sow them THAT early.
The problem has been the utterly miserable spring, which both caused
a lot to rot after germination and before developing a stem and caused
very poor setting (lack of bees).

I sowed both overwintering broad beans and early ones not so far further
north, just in S. Lincs. Both have done OK but the overwintering ones
have been far better, with a really heavy crop. The stems have gradually
gone completely black but late enough not to affect the yield. I haven't
had a failure yet with overwintering except for losing every single seed
to mice/voles one year - a very neat double row of deep holes appeared
where the seeds had been. I've had good strong plants which have
over-wintered well since using roottrainers.

Janet G

Old 09-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

/never has-beans/

anyone tell me what's gone wrong? Is there a witch nearby?

No, the Wicked Witch of the West was in Scotland and has now returned
to the USA to plot more evil. While he has left his British familiar
here, the latter seems to have no powers of his own (for either good
or evil).

That's the Wicked Warlock, Shirley?

No, the idea that witches are female originated with the Victorians,
along with the idea that one shouldn't split infinitives. I have
no truck with such modern dogmatism.

In my experience, overwintering broad beans is a pretty futile activity,
as at best it produces a crop a fortnight earlier, and it is as likely
to simply waste seed and space. But some people seem to get it to
work.

The idea is also to harden them against blackfly infestation.

Boggle. Mine never get attacked until they are a foot or more high,
and you can't overwinter ones of more than a few inches high, at
least if the winter includes any significant frost.

ATM I'm harvesting carrier bags of escaped fodder beans, a slightly
smaller relative, and they have done extremely well in the verge
alongside last year's field.

Plenty of bumble bees here in this bit of Norfolk, and from the earliest
times too. However, I haven't seen a honey bee here for several years.

The two things you report are probably correlated!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:
In article ,
(Jaques d'Alltrades) wrote:

ATM I'm harvesting carrier bags of escaped fodder beans, a slightly
smaller relative, and they have done extremely well in the verge
alongside last year's field.

Yes, I've grown "Field Beans". They are very hardy, productive and
reasonable tasting. Having tried several BB varieties in recently, my
plan for next year is 50% "Red Epicure" for flavour and 50% Field Beans
for tough productivity.

I've got very little room in my garden - unless I devastate the hedges
and the woody things. (And I like the winter viburnum, the cotoneasters,
the 'ivy tree', the clematis, the Japanese quince, the barberry, etc,
etc. The only area I could put down to vegetables is shaded from
mid-afternoon on by a row of Lombardy poplars, and in any case, that's
where the garage and workshop will be eventually.

Another thing about Field Beans, they are narrower plants than more
refined varieties so you can pack them in more. Say about 6" apart. And
the pods are usually still pointing upwards when they're ready. They are
ready when rock hard and slightly shiny.

Because I have so little room I plant them 6" apart, as you say. (IRTA
6' originally and boggled!) The scent of the flowers is divine, if a bit
overpowering, and makes the spring very smelly indeed, what with a local
lime tree and brace of big lilacs in the hedge which flower in series...