Old 12-07-2005, 01:22 AM
John Savage

"Loretta" writes:
Hello, we bought a Golden Delicious apple tree yesterday and need to graft
another type of apple onto it to pollinate it, as we only have the one tree.
Is there some particular spot that we would make the graft? And how big a
piece would you suggest the new piece be please?

Could I suggest an alternative? If there is a gardener nearby with a few
apple trees, you might be able to borrow (i.e., beg) a flowering branch
from him at the time your tree is in bloom and sit it in a bottle of water
among the branches of your flowering tree. Otherwise, how can you be
sure that the piece you graft on will bloom at the same time as the rest
of your tree? Then in a couple of years time you could try grafting a piece
on when you'll have less to lose if the attempt is unsuccessful.