Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Dwayne

One other possibility if you have the room, is to buy another tree (if you
have the room). I love the pink ladies you mentioned. Keep in mind what
you want to do with them. Red delicious are not much good for cooking or
canning, but are delicious for eating fresh. I have eaten golden delicious
fresh and canned them. They also make good applesauce. Granny smith are a
great cooking apple, but I don't care for them fresh, and I have to add too
much sugar when canning (I am diabetic). If you order a dwarf tree, it wont
take up much room and will still pollinate.

I tried to graft buds from my two pear trees on each other (3 or 4 buds on
each tree) and they all died. I did it when the new leaves were coming out
and plenty of sap was flowing. No one here knows how to do it anymore, so I
have no one locally to help me. The one person who told me cut a parallel
slit in the bark about an inch long. Then he cut two 1/2 inch slits
perpendicular to the first, one on each end of it. Then he carefully opened
each flap. Then he cut the bud off of a sucker growing on the tree he
wanted to graft to the original one, and cut it wide and long enough to fit
inside the flaps. Then he put the bud cutting inside the flaps, folded them
over and used some masking tape to hold it in place. His worked, mine died.
He lives about 400 miles from here, and I wont see him until Oct, when I
will ask him again.

Dwayne

"Loretta" wrote in message
Hello, we bought a Golden Delicious apple tree yesterday and need to graft
another type of apple onto it to pollinate it, as we only have the one
tree. Is there some particular spot that we would make the graft? And how
big a piece would you suggest the new piece be please?

regards Loretta