Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:40:27 +0100, Babs ] wrote:

Three years ago I moved a young (about two years old) hydrangea; it
didn't seem to like the move, didn't flower and had hardly any leaves.
Last year I put it into a large pot and this year it looks really
healthy; it has grown and has lots of leaves and flowers. Would it be
better to try it in the garden again or leave it in the pot. I'm
reluctant to move it yet again but didn't know if it would survive in
the pot. The pot is 35mm high by 44mm diameter.

I see no reason why you shouldn't plant it out. But don't do it now,
wait until the cooler weather, say in late September or October.
Remember that they like moisture and perhaps a little shade, so select
the site accordingly if you can. Dig plenty of peat into the hole
before you plant it, to hold moisture. If it's pot-bound, tease out
the roots on the outside of the pot-shaped root ball before planting
it, to encourage them to grow out into the soil. If a few break, it
won't matter.

--
Chris