Old 11-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Babs

Default hydrangea

Three years ago I moved a young (about two years old) hydrangea; it
didn't seem to like the move, didn't flower and had hardly any leaves.
Last year I put it into a large pot and this year it looks really
healthy; it has grown and has lots of leaves and flowers. Would it be
better to try it in the garden again or leave it in the pot. I'm
reluctant to move it yet again but didn't know if it would survive in
the pot. The pot is 35mm high by 44mm diameter.
--
Babs
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:40:27 +0100, Babs ] wrote:

Three years ago I moved a young (about two years old) hydrangea; it
didn't seem to like the move, didn't flower and had hardly any leaves.
Last year I put it into a large pot and this year it looks really
healthy; it has grown and has lots of leaves and flowers. Would it be
better to try it in the garden again or leave it in the pot. I'm
reluctant to move it yet again but didn't know if it would survive in
the pot. The pot is 35mm high by 44mm diameter.

I see no reason why you shouldn't plant it out. But don't do it now,
wait until the cooler weather, say in late September or October.
Remember that they like moisture and perhaps a little shade, so select
the site accordingly if you can. Dig plenty of peat into the hole
before you plant it, to hold moisture. If it's pot-bound, tease out
the roots on the outside of the pot-shaped root ball before planting
it, to encourage them to grow out into the soil. If a few break, it
won't matter.

--
Chris

Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Babs

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
[...]

Thank you, Chris, for a very clear and helpful reply; I'll try this.
--
Babs
Old 14-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

i'd go with Chris' suggestion, but make sure you keep it well watered as large hydrangea's in my experience don't like to be moved. last year i planted a lovely pink mophead i'd grown for 5 years in a pot to the front border.

It didn't like the move to say the least and at least half the stems just gave up over winter and produced no shoots. last year it was covered in masses of large flowerheads, and this year only two are just starting to open. It gre very slowly, and only in last month or two has it started to look healthy again. Next year i expect (hope) it will produce new stems from the roots, and 3 years will be back to its best again

just give it tlc and i'm sure it will recover from the move in time

Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM