Old 13-07-2005, 02:19 PM
chris French

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Chris French and Helen Johnson
contains these words:

1. Suggestions for best thing to use for this.

We have a small 2nd hand electric hedgetrimmer which is a godsend.
Much easier to use than my neighbours larger one which is too long and
heavy for my arms.

not sure how well an electric trimmer would work on some of them, it
would have to be small.

2. Best way to access the larger trees.

Trestles from Screwfix..John uses them with a platform for cutting
our tallest hedge (7ft) and much else. Much safer than ladders if you're
using a power trimmer.

Ah yes, sound much better tan the previous chaps suggestion of just
leaning a ladder against the tree (can't reach from a normal stepladder)

I've decided what I really could do with here for so many jobs is a
little 'cherry Picker' :-)

3. Can they be cut back into the older wood at all? - to reduce the
size.

Yes. Yew is one of the few conifers which sprouts thickly again from
bare trunk.

Ah, that's good to know. Though given our experience with non-regrowing
Beech hedges (following suggestions here....) in the last house I may
trial it out on one I don't mind sacrificing.
--
Chris French