Old 15-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Stephen Henning

"Walter R." wrote:

I cut down several medium sized eucalyptus trees. They keep regrowing from
shoots from the stump at a very rapid clip (10 feet in 6 months).

I had this problem with a black walnut tree. So the next time I needed
to get rid of black walnut trees, I girdled them. To my amazement they
took about 4 years to die. They looked normal for three years and the
4th year the leaves started to come out in the spring and then they
died. I don't have any suckers coming up. Imagine if I had not done
that and all that energy had gone into suckers. It could have lasted
forever.

And, yes I had girdled them deep enough. I went through the bark,
through the cambium layer and into the phloem and removed part of that.

For those trees that are still sending up shoots. I would apply
concentrated roundup to the shoots. Cut off any part of the shoots you
can't apply roundup to. It may take several applications.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6