Old 15-07-2005, 04:23 AM
Walter R.

Default To kill a tree

I cut down several medium sized eucalyptus trees. They keep regrowing from
shoots from the stump at a very rapid clip (10 feet in 6 months).

In the old days we would buy a few sticks of dynamite at the friendly
hardware store, but the stuff is hard to come by these days. How can I kill
them so they will stay dead?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 15-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Stephen Henning

"Walter R." wrote:

I cut down several medium sized eucalyptus trees. They keep regrowing from
shoots from the stump at a very rapid clip (10 feet in 6 months).

I had this problem with a black walnut tree. So the next time I needed
to get rid of black walnut trees, I girdled them. To my amazement they
took about 4 years to die. They looked normal for three years and the
4th year the leaves started to come out in the spring and then they
died. I don't have any suckers coming up. Imagine if I had not done
that and all that energy had gone into suckers. It could have lasted
forever.

And, yes I had girdled them deep enough. I went through the bark,
through the cambium layer and into the phloem and removed part of that.

For those trees that are still sending up shoots. I would apply
concentrated roundup to the shoots. Cut off any part of the shoots you
can't apply roundup to. It may take several applications.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 15-07-2005, 06:40 PM
raycruzer

Although black walnut trees are protected in my area (California), I
have resorted to Roundup in defending against invasions of the tree of
heaven. This invasive tree can grow a foot a month and can spread like
wildfire.

I have also sprayed Roundup in the girdled cuts deep into the bark. I
have noticed, however, that spraying directly on leaves is the quickest
way to get the Roundup to work. It may take several weeks to see the
effects, especially if the leaves are beyond your reach. After several
months, all the leaves will yellow, brown, fall and die. The dead tree
will gradually collapse after a couple of years.

Normally I stay away from herbicides, but my trusty weed twister is no
match for the tree of heaven, especially when it's already several feet
tall.

We also have eucalyptus trees near our homes in my area, but, although
they can be a nuisance, I don't think anyone has tried to use a
chemical solution so far.

Best of luck with your eucalyptus tree problem. I'd be curious to know
if Roundup (or other chemicals) works on them.

______
EWIRM: Nature makes trees, humans make weeds!

Old 16-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Arborsmith

Chemicals are not necessary if you just have a little diligence. New
sprouts just need to be removed after they push up a few feet, cut them
all off completely do this a few times and most trees will die. You can
also put down a piece of old carpet after cutting off the first load of
sprouts. Once the tree depletes is food reserve in the root it will
die.

Richard
http://www.arborsmith.com

Old 16-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Curious

Drill holes in the stump and pour Roundup or a brush killer at 100%
concentration in the drilled holes. That should take care of it.

"Walter R." wrote in message
I cut down several medium sized eucalyptus trees. They keep regrowing from
shoots from the stump at a very rapid clip (10 feet in 6 months).

In the old days we would buy a few sticks of dynamite at the friendly
hardware store, but the stuff is hard to come by these days. How can I
kill them so they will stay dead?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

[IMG] code is On

To kill a pine tree... Bart Lawns 37 03-04-2007 08:39 PM
To kill a pine tree... Bart Lawns 32 23-01-2007 08:45 AM
Will Tylan (an antibiotic) kill my christmas tree? Dick N. Bush Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
tree kill Sam I Am United Kingdom 1 02-02-2003 11:50 PM
Will Tylan (an antibiotic) kill my christmas tree? Dick N. Bush Lawns 0 06-12-2002 07:47 AM