Old 15-07-2005, 02:25 PM
K Barrett

Yeah, that's the trouble: getting this stuff shipped internationally.
CITES, Phyto or *whatever* paperwork can be a pain to get. A friend of mine
had no trouble getting import export permits online from the US federal
gov't. I tried it and my paperwork got lost in the shuffle, but I never
really pursued it, either.

The rumor is that Aussie natives (terrestrials) don't survive long in
captivity. That there's some sort of mycorhizae that need to associate with
these in order to have them florish. I have no input on that, but Ron
Parsons (who travels frequently to OZ on speaking tours) says that they'll
live for a few years and then that's it. Personally I don't think anyone
has gotten the bug to really try it. Work with them and make a go of it. I
know there are some from the greater Perth area that woudl work well in my
yard because its all sand (like Perth's soil)

OK, enough from me.

K Barrett
"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:43:54 -0700, "K Barrett"

wrote:

OK, I don't admit that I'm right in this. As a matter of fact I may be
really wrong, but there was a vendor at the SBOE sale earlier this month
that had some sort of aussie terrestrial for sale. I remember thinking

that
was unusual, then I got distracted and forgot all about it. Anyway -

long
story short - I think it was Down Under Native Orchids. Maybe you can

find
them online somewhere. I have no idea if they were in country just for

the
sale or if they have a US base...but heck, there's a lead.

Website is http://www.duno.com.au/

I believe that some organisation in Victoria (that's the Aussie state)

keeps a tuber bank for sale purposes. I have
this vague recollection it might have been the Victorian Orchid Society.

But, even if it wasn't them, they should be
able to point you in the right direction. Only thing is, I have no idea

what the quarantine restrictions may be on such
material.

K Barrett

"jadel" wrote in message
roups.com...
Does anyone know of a US nursery or orchid grower selling Australian
terrestrial orchids? Specifically, I'm interested in Pterostylis and
Diuris orchids.

Many years ago I grew -Pterostylis nutans- and would like to try again.
( I got the Ptero. nutans from a private individual who is no longer
distributing them)

J. Del Col

Dave Gillingham

----