Old 15-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Mike Lyle

p.k. wrote:
Nel wrote:
Are the prices in B&Q etc realistic for top soil? I want to try

level my lawn but based on the prices, it's going to cost me a

small
fortune!! Is there places that sell it in larger quantities at

more
reasonable prices (and what kind of price do you consider
reasonable)??
TIA

There will be loads of places close to you that sell bulk topsoil -
but most will sell rubbish that is quite unsuitable for the lawn
levelllinf you want to do.

You want a fine textured screene loam (is the same as in the B&Q

bags)

Try chatting up a local (quality) landsacper as to his suppliers or
if the budget stretches
http://www.rolawn.co.uk/productDetail.asp?productID=4 is just

about
as good as you will get anywhere.

And now back to a tune I often sing. Nel, are you sure you need to
buy in a lot of topsoil? I ask because it often turns out to be
unnecessary. Minor irregularities will soon enough be levelled by a
thin annual top-dressing of sand and loam; while with bigger ones, if
there aren't too many, you can chop off the bumps and use the
material to fill the hollows. Lift the turf from these patches first,
and then relay it; I'd do it in spring or autumn, not now.

I've found that the "chop off the bumps" technique is a bit
hit-or-miss and may call for adjustment later on; but so is spreading
topsoil over the whole lawn, as it may tend to settle in conformity
with the original levels. Either way, I suspect you've got a two-year
project, and bringing in topsoil can have other inconveniences.

--
Mike.