Old 14-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Nel

Default Topsoil

Are the prices in B&Q etc realistic for top soil? I want to try to level my
lawn but based on the prices, it's going to cost me a small fortune!! Is
there places that sell it in larger quantities at more reasonable prices
(and what kind of price do you consider reasonable)??

TIA

Old 14-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Crag

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:54:44 GMT "Nel" wrote in
eenews.net:

Are the prices in B&Q etc realistic for top soil? I want to try to
level my lawn but based on the prices, it's going to cost me a small
fortune!! Is there places that sell it in larger quantities at more
reasonable prices (and what kind of price do you consider
reasonable)??

TIA

Have a look in the yellow pages under topsoil & turf. There'll be plenty
of suppliers there to choose from selling different grades of topsoils.

Can't give you an exact price but I got 2 tonne of basic grade topsoil
(good enough for levelling) and 30 sq. feet of turf last summer for about
£90 delivered.

Old 14-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message ws.net
from "Nel" contains these words:

Are the prices in B&Q etc realistic for top soil? I want to try to
level my
lawn but based on the prices, it's going to cost me a small fortune!! Is
there places that sell it in larger quantities at more reasonable prices
(and what kind of price do you consider reasonable)??

Assuming you don't mean you want to adjust the slope of the lawn, you
could use a mixture of sharp sand, lime and potting compost.

Mix it, then put it in the low spots and rake it level.

If the low spots are deep, you might have to re-seed the lawn.

Worms will mix what you've put down into the soil under the lawn, but if
you use plain compost it will decay in a year or three and you'll be
back where you started, hence the sharp sand. The sand will help the
drainage, too. The lime is because grass likes it...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-07-2005, 11:11 PM
p.k.

Nel wrote:
Are the prices in B&Q etc realistic for top soil? I want to try to
level my lawn but based on the prices, it's going to cost me a small
fortune!! Is there places that sell it in larger quantities at more
reasonable prices (and what kind of price do you consider
reasonable)??
TIA

There will be loads of places close to you that sell bulk topsoil - but most
will sell rubbish that is quite unsuitable for the lawn levelllinf you want
to do.

You want a fine textured screene loam (is the same as in the B&Q bags)

Try chatting up a local (quality) landsacper as to his suppliers or if the
budget stretches http://www.rolawn.co.uk/productDetail.asp?productID=4 is
just about as good as you will get anywhere.

pk

Old 15-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Mike Lyle

p.k. wrote:
Nel wrote:
[...]

And now back to a tune I often sing. Nel, are you sure you need to
buy in a lot of topsoil? I ask because it often turns out to be
unnecessary. Minor irregularities will soon enough be levelled by a
thin annual top-dressing of sand and loam; while with bigger ones, if
there aren't too many, you can chop off the bumps and use the
material to fill the hollows. Lift the turf from these patches first,
and then relay it; I'd do it in spring or autumn, not now.

I've found that the "chop off the bumps" technique is a bit
hit-or-miss and may call for adjustment later on; but so is spreading
topsoil over the whole lawn, as it may tend to settle in conformity
with the original levels. Either way, I suspect you've got a two-year
project, and bringing in topsoil can have other inconveniences.

--
Mike.

Need topsoil delivered in Chicago any suggestions please theakson Gardening 2 05-04-2003 12:32 PM
two questions about topsoil in Chicago theakson Gardening 2 02-04-2003 02:44 PM
topsoil mark Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 06-03-2003 11:34 PM
Where to get topsoil in Reading, Berkshire? David Pearson United Kingdom 2 04-03-2003 02:38 PM
The Topsoil Teaser Ian Burgess United Kingdom 0 18-10-2002 10:37 PM