Old 15-07-2005, 06:55 PM
vsop

"Ros Butt" wrote in message
I would like to take a cutting from my neighbours gooseberry bush, but am
not sure of the correct method & time of propagating. Any advice please?

Many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.

I've propagated lots of plants over the years simply by taking cuttings
about 12 - 15 inches long, cut just below a leaf node and heeled into a slit
in the soil made by a spade. Insert about 4 - 6 inches deep.
I usually place them close together, about 6 in a spade blade width. Water
well, and wait for signs of growth in the leaves. After a few weeks when
leaf growth is strong and robust, transfer to permanent growing position.
I prefer to take cuttings either at seasons end from current year growth,
or in early spring.
I'm on heavy clay, but I usually average about 98% success with cuttings
with no special skill needed.

stanO