Old 14-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Ros Butt

Default propagating gooseberry bush

I would like to take a cutting from my neighbours gooseberry bush, but am
not sure of the correct method & time of propagating. Any advice please?

Many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.

Old 14-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ros Butt contains these words:

I would like to take a cutting from my neighbours gooseberry bush, but am
not sure of the correct method & time of propagating. Any advice please?

Peg a branch down to the soil and it should root.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Hazel

"Ros Butt" wrote in message
I would like to take a cutting from my neighbours gooseberry bush, but am
not sure of the correct method & time of propagating. Any advice please?

Many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.

Hardwood cuttings in the autumn or spring. A google will tell you how

Hazel

Old 14-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Ros Butt

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote:

after dark certainly, sneak out with a pair of pruning shears

Don't need to do that! we share/swop gardening things/computer
knowledge/animal & house holiday sitting. Just needed to know the genuine
gardening type propagation protocol, as most of my gardening books are
either flower or vegetable orientated, so not very helpful regarding fruit
bushes!
Many thanks
Ros

Old 14-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Ros Butt contains these words:

I would like to take a cutting from my neighbours gooseberry bush, but am
not sure of the correct method & time of propagating. Any advice please?

Dead of night. Very quietly. If detected, remember to call out
"Here, pussy pussy pussy..where is that darn cat? "

Janet.
Old 14-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Martin Brown

Ros Butt wrote:

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote:

after dark certainly, sneak out with a pair of pruning shears

Don't need to do that! we share/swop gardening things/computer
knowledge/animal & house holiday sitting. Just needed to know the genuine
gardening type propagation protocol, as most of my gardening books are
either flower or vegetable orientated, so not very helpful regarding fruit
bushes!
Many thanks
Ros

The easiest way by far is to peg a low branch down into the ground under
soil and leave until the end of the season. By then it will have a fine
root system and you can chop it off as a new plant.

You may be able to find one or two branches already rooted down if you
look carefully. I like the sweet red gooseberries best YMMV.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 14-07-2005, 11:42 PM
nambucca

"Ros Butt" wrote in message
I would like to take a cutting from my neighbours gooseberry bush, but am
not sure of the correct method & time of propagating.

You will have more success simply bending down branches to the soil make a
small nick in the bark on underside at that point and anchoring over the
nicked section with a large stone or piece of rock they will soon root and
can then be severed from the parent plant

Old 15-07-2005, 06:55 PM
vsop

"Ros Butt" wrote in message
I would like to take a cutting from my neighbours gooseberry bush, but am
not sure of the correct method & time of propagating. Any advice please?

Many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.

I've propagated lots of plants over the years simply by taking cuttings
about 12 - 15 inches long, cut just below a leaf node and heeled into a slit
in the soil made by a spade. Insert about 4 - 6 inches deep.
I usually place them close together, about 6 in a spade blade width. Water
well, and wait for signs of growth in the leaves. After a few weeks when
leaf growth is strong and robust, transfer to permanent growing position.
I prefer to take cuttings either at seasons end from current year growth,
or in early spring.
I'm on heavy clay, but I usually average about 98% success with cuttings
with no special skill needed.

stanO

Gooseberry bush pollination David in Normandy[_7_] United Kingdom 3 14-04-2009 10:34 PM
Gooseberry bush problems Roger United Kingdom 6 08-08-2007 12:40 AM
gooseberry bush ajr United Kingdom 4 11-11-2005 06:11 PM
Gooseberry Bush Ben United Kingdom 1 02-08-2004 05:04 PM
No flowers on gooseberry bush Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 14-05-2003 10:44 PM