Old 16-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Dwayne

"John DH" wrote in message

Please help !

I am growing jaspee de vende squash, from seed. I'm pleased to say they're
going like triffids, but I don't know what to do next.

1. Should I limit the length of the main stem & side shoots ?

You can.

2. Do I need to hand fertilise the flowers ?

I wouldnt.

3. Do I need to remove male flowers ?

No.

4. Do you advise limiting the number of fruits ?

Depends on how much room you have to store them.

5. How will I know when the fruits are ready for harvesting ?

Are they winter or summer squash. If they are winter squash, wait until
their stem gets dry and hard, or until the first frost which ever comes
first. Cut them off the vine with 1 to 2 inches of vine left attached to
the squash.

If they are summer squash, they can be eaten from very small to very big
(except you will have to remove the seeds and can them as pickles).

Have fun. Dwayne

Many thanks for your expert advice.

Caroline