Old 15-07-2005, 08:41 AM
John DH

Default squash help!

Please help !

I am growing jaspee de vende squash, from seed. I'm pleased to say they're
going like triffids, but I don't know what to do next.

1. Should I limit the length of the main stem & side shoots ?
2. Do I need to hand fertilise the flowers ?
3. Do I need to remove male flowers ?
4. Do you advise limiting the number of fruits ?
5. How will I know when the fruits are ready for harvesting ?

Many thanks for your expert advice.

Caroline

Old 16-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Dwayne

"John DH" wrote in message

Please help !

I am growing jaspee de vende squash, from seed. I'm pleased to say they're
going like triffids, but I don't know what to do next.

1. Should I limit the length of the main stem & side shoots ?

You can.

2. Do I need to hand fertilise the flowers ?

I wouldnt.

3. Do I need to remove male flowers ?

No.

4. Do you advise limiting the number of fruits ?

Depends on how much room you have to store them.

5. How will I know when the fruits are ready for harvesting ?

Are they winter or summer squash. If they are winter squash, wait until
their stem gets dry and hard, or until the first frost which ever comes
first. Cut them off the vine with 1 to 2 inches of vine left attached to
the squash.

If they are summer squash, they can be eaten from very small to very big
(except you will have to remove the seeds and can them as pickles).

Have fun. Dwayne

Old 16-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Bob Hobden

"Dwayne" replied to.
"John DH" who asked
I am growing jaspee de vende squash, from seed. I'm pleased to say
they're
going like triffids, but I don't know what to do next.

1. Should I limit the length of the main stem & side shoots ?

You can.

True, but it's not necessary unless you are running out of space. The more
leaves the more food the plant is making, but the more water it needs. (1
Gal / 4.6 Ltr per plant per day is what I give).
That said Jaspee de Vende is a bush plant and isn't supposed to run
everywhere like some I grow.

2. Do I need to hand fertilise the flowers ?

I wouldnt.

Again it shouldn't be necessary but you can, it won't hurt. Do you know how
to do it? When a female flower is open (has a embryonic squash underneath
it) you pull off an open male flower, pull off it's petals and rub the
middle bit against/around the female middle bit and when you hear a little
sigh you know it's job done. :-)

3. Do I need to remove male flowers ?

No.

Certainly not if you want fruit, the female flowers must be fertilised and
the male flowers drop off anyway after they have done their bit.

4. Do you advise limiting the number of fruits ?

Depends on how much room you have to store them.

Plants normally only grow fruit they can support well, and the only reason
to remove fruit is to get bigger squashs which may be too big for the
kitchen. Jaspee de Vende is a small squash anyway so little point in
removing fruit.

5 How will I know when the fruits are ready for harvesting?

They will stop growing and turn a nice yellow/orange as they ripen. I leave
them on untill the first frost is forecast or untill the plant has died.
Jaspee is a winter squash/pumpkin and is supposed to store well.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 16-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Hello
Jaspee de vende is a winter squash, fruits are typically around 4lb in weight; they will be the typical bright pumpkin orange. When its ripe if you tap it, it will have a hollow ring to it and be hard. Come the autumn you may have to help in the ripening by turning, so the underside changes colour too, they can be pane & weak otherwise
Have fun

Cliff
Bawtry, Doncaster. South Yorkshire

Old 18-07-2005, 09:48 AM
John DH

Thanks for all of your help.

We have put together a small web site showing our efforts so far. It's
mainly for our family to look at, but have a peek anyway. Page 4 on the site
is a Lightning radar page.
www.hydrogene.co.uk/gdnweb

John & Caroline