Old 17-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:20:18 GMT, "Ron P" wrote:

I have this planted on my mail box in NE North Carolina and it loves it
there. I found mine at a high end nursery that buys unusual varieties of
plants. I have a question though. Is the fruit on these edible? After
flowering the bud starts to become a seed pod or fruit. Any one have any
clues??

They are edible, but you wouldn't want to eat them. There isn't really much of a flavor to them.

I'm suprised that you had to go to a high-end nursery in NC to find them-- here in my part of SC
they are a common wild plant treated like an invasive weed. (Maypops and "Butterfly Weed" are two
plants that, when you tell anyone around here that people actually pay for the the things they look
at you weird). I would suspect that if you look in any fields around your area you'll find them
growing wild.