Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Bill Oliver

Default Is there a good palce to buy maypops?

Maypops (passiflora incarnata) grows wild around here,
though the only places I have seen it have been in
National or State Parks, so I can't harvest some. I would
like to try it out on a trellis I have here, but
can't seem to find a local nursery that carries them.

Does anybody know of a good place to buy them?

Thanks,
billo

Old 11-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Travis

Bill Oliver wrote:
Maypops (passiflora incarnata) grows wild around here,
though the only places I have seen it have been in
National or State Parks, so I can't harvest some. I would
like to try it out on a trellis I have here, but
can't seem to find a local nursery that carries them.

Does anybody know of a good place to buy them?

Thanks,
billo

Knowing where "around here" is would be helpful.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 11-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Bill Oliver

In article 2IlAe.14556$O56.29@trnddc07,
Travis wrote:
Bill Oliver wrote:
Maypops (passiflora incarnata) grows wild around here,
though the only places I have seen it have been in
National or State Parks, so I can't harvest some. I would
like to try it out on a trellis I have here, but
can't seem to find a local nursery that carries them.

Does anybody know of a good place to buy them?

Thanks,
billo

Knowing where "around here" is would be helpful.

Heh. Oops. Sorry about that. I live in the NW Georgia
mountains not too far south of Chattanooga, TN.

billo

Old 11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Travis

Travis wrote:
Bill Oliver wrote:
Maypops (passiflora incarnata) grows wild around here,
though the only places I have seen it have been in
National or State Parks, so I can't harvest some. I would
like to try it out on a trellis I have here, but
can't seem to find a local nursery that carries them.

Does anybody know of a good place to buy them?

Thanks,
billo

Knowing where "around here" is would be helpful.

Heh. Oops. Sorry about that. I live in the NW Georgia
mountains not too far south of Chattanooga, TN.

billo

I'm way far away from you so I don't know any nursery's near you. Try
looking for Passionflower (Passiflora incarta) at your local nursery.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 12-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Keith Warren

Sorry Bill, Don't know where to buy them locally. I have several on my
property in the NE corner of GA. If your ever this way give me a jingle and
we'll see if we can get you some cuttings or perhaps a transplant or two
started.

Keith

Old 16-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Ron P

I have this planted on my mail box in NE North Carolina and it loves it
there. I found mine at a high end nursery that buys unusual varieties of
plants. I have a question though. Is the fruit on these edible? After
flowering the bud starts to become a seed pod or fruit. Any one have any
clues??

Thanks!!
Pam

Old 16-07-2005, 05:59 PM
nonews

Thompson & Morgan sells the seed of the Castor Bean plant (Ricinus
communis). It is considered a half-hardy annual. Once you grow it you can
harvest your own seeds. The plant and its seeds are considered poisonous.
Do not grow it where children may be attracted to the large seeds.

Old 17-07-2005, 08:39 AM
presley

I'm pretty sure the fruits are edible, although they may be a little pulpy
or bland. Almost every fruit that smells sweet is edible - sort of nature's
way of making sure it gets eaten so that the seeds will end up somewhere
else- but not all are delicious. I often wonder about those first brave
humans who in fits of hunger tried non-sweet things like lettuce leaves,
cabbage leaves, etc. How many lay dead on the jungle floor after they
accidentally bit into something brim full of oxalic acid or other poisonous
substance? And what famine induced some to try grass seeds (progenitors of
wheat, corn, barley, millet, etc)?

Old 17-07-2005, 03:02 PM
enigma

"nonews" wrote in
:

Thompson & Morgan sells the seed of the Castor Bean plant
(Ricinus communis). It is considered a half-hardy annual.
Once you grow it you can harvest your own seeds. The plant
and its seeds are considered poisonous. Do not grow it
where children may be attracted to the large seeds.

what does that have to do with maypops? did your threads get
crossed?
lee

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Old 17-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:20:18 GMT, "Ron P" wrote:

I have this planted on my mail box in NE North Carolina and it loves it
there. I found mine at a high end nursery that buys unusual varieties of
plants. I have a question though. Is the fruit on these edible? After
flowering the bud starts to become a seed pod or fruit. Any one have any
clues??

They are edible, but you wouldn't want to eat them. There isn't really much of a flavor to them.

I'm suprised that you had to go to a high-end nursery in NC to find them-- here in my part of SC
they are a common wild plant treated like an invasive weed. (Maypops and "Butterfly Weed" are two
plants that, when you tell anyone around here that people actually pay for the the things they look
at you weird). I would suspect that if you look in any fields around your area you'll find them
growing wild.

Old 17-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Ann

enigma expounded:

"nonews" wrote in
:

Thompson & Morgan sells the seed of the Castor Bean plant
(Ricinus communis). It is considered a half-hardy annual.
Once you grow it you can harvest your own seeds. The plant
and its seeds are considered poisonous. Do not grow it
where children may be attracted to the large seeds.

what does that have to do with maypops? did your threads get
crossed?
lee

Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************
Old 18-07-2005, 05:43 PM
TomKan

Maypops?
I got four of them on my car.

Old 14-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Ben

Maypops are not only edible, but tasty. There is quite a bit of info,
and some online nurseries, he

http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html

Lee Reich's book "Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention" devotes a
chapter to the maypop.