Old 17-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:09:41 +0000, rissin wrote:

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie,
France.
Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the

I don't know about a UK source, but Castor seeds are common on Ebay. I grew some last year out of
curiosity because I remember seeing some of the seeds that look like large, fat ticks as a child.
For me, at least, it was a smashing failure. The plants grew, and grew large and fast, but the next
crop of seeds were only half-ripe before frost killed the plants. They weren't even slightly hardy
in South Carolina. I suspect that the plants would have died if I had waved a glass of ice water
menancingly in their direction. Anyway, I was stuck with thick, not really woody but very dense
trunks to cut down and large roots to dig up. Wasn't really worth the bother, IMHO.