Old 16-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered User

Default Help identify Flower called Rissin

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie, France.
Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the UK

Red spiky balls on large leaves

You can find photos at

http://www.akk.me.uk/rissin.htm

Thanks

Rissin
Old 16-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Ann

rissin expounded:

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie,
France.
Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the
UK

Red spiky balls on large leaves

You can find photos at

http://www.akk.me.uk/rissin.htm

Thanks

Rissin

It's a red castor bean plant. See here
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57602/

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 16-07-2005, 03:57 PM
William Brown

Ricin is derived from castor bean plants, which look, to my untrained
eye, very like your picture. Try doing a google images search for
castor bean or ricin.

Old 16-07-2005, 04:14 PM
enigma

rissin wrote in
:

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in
Normandie, France.
Please help me identify it and if possible a source of
supply in the UK
Red spiky balls on large leaves

ricin? looks like castor bean (Ricinus communis).
here's more than you wanted to know about the plant & toxins:
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/castorbean.html

can't help you find one in the UK. sorry.
lee

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old 16-07-2005, 06:29 PM

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie,
France.
Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the
UK

The castor bean plant, Ricinus communis
Sorry, do not know of source in UK

Old 16-07-2005, 06:35 PM
nonews

I managed to send this to the wrong place before; so let me try again.

Thompson & Morgan sells the seed of the Castor Bean plant (Ricinus
communis). It is considered a half-hardy annual. Once you grow it you can
harvest your own seeds. The plant and its seeds are considered poisonous.
Do not grow it where children may be attracted to the large seeds.

Old 16-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Travis

rissin wrote:
This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie,
France.
Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the
UK

Red spiky balls on large leaves

You can find photos at

http://www.akk.me.uk/rissin.htm

Castor bean: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/castorbean.html

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 17-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Darren Garrison

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:09:41 +0000, rissin wrote:

This plant is called Rissin by the local gardeners in Normandie,
France.
Please help me identify it and if possible a source of supply in the

I don't know about a UK source, but Castor seeds are common on Ebay. I grew some last year out of
curiosity because I remember seeing some of the seeds that look like large, fat ticks as a child.
For me, at least, it was a smashing failure. The plants grew, and grew large and fast, but the next
crop of seeds were only half-ripe before frost killed the plants. They weren't even slightly hardy
in South Carolina. I suspect that the plants would have died if I had waved a glass of ice water
menancingly in their direction. Anyway, I was stuck with thick, not really woody but very dense
trunks to cut down and large roots to dig up. Wasn't really worth the bother, IMHO.