Old 14-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Gardening & Spiders

(subbykins{Chrd}) wrote in
:

I genuinely hate spiders, can't be doing with them they frighten the
hell out of me. So, now I've got this lovely garden I want to do
things with but I was recently poking around in a camelia bush looking
at it's base when one rather large and nasty one landed on my hand and
it's really put me off poking around again.

It may comfort you to know that you've been really unlucky. I don't care
for 'em either, but I usually only encounter the big ones in the garden
hiding in enclosed spaces like sheds and walls. They usually run off at
high speed when humans approach.

Types that make webs and sit in them in mid-air are a bit more likely to
come into contact, but are generally smaller, and again can be easily
scared off if they know you are coming.

So you may find that it never happens again (it's not happened to me yet!)

I tend to give overhanging branches, large bushes and sheets of stuff that
have been hanging around a while a good thump with a broom or something
before getting up close. This makes sure any inhabitants know you are
coming and gives them a chance to clear out.

Victoria Clare