Old 18-07-2005, 01:22 PM
DefaultUser

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
I'm posting at the top because I didn't want to delete any part of
this message. My opinion is more geared to the type of head these
systems use down here in Texas. The "pop up spray." About half the
water evaporates before it reaches the ground with these cheap
sprinkler heads. FAR more effective are impulse heads which go back
and forth and have much larger drops which gives a much more even
watering, and deeper. I would never install pop up heads, ever. So,
if impulse heads are more expensive, it's well worth it.

Victoria

...."half the water evaporates before it reaches the ground"???

If this were true or even close to being true no one would install them,
much less pay to have someone else do it.

A typical spray head with a fifteen foot radius and a 180 degree pattern
emitts and average of 1.75 gallons per minute. These heads tend to cover a
smaller area and be more accurate in their application of water than rotor
heads - either impact or stream rotors. Evaporation is only significant
enough to be of concern when a system is run during the heat of the day,
i.e. mid afternoon. Professional installers, myself included, recomend
running systems early in the morning when wind drift and evaporation factors
are virtually non-existent.

Generally far more water is lost with rotors due to overspray than with
spary heads due to evaporation.

Shut up Victoria!

Al Hanke
Austin, Texas